Are you looking for a fun family friendly activity to get you out of the house? Try geocaching - The world wide scavenger hunt game that can be played anywhere at any time! I've been doing this for 5 years and having a great time. All members of the family will enjoy doing it together. See photos and read about how you can get started in my BLOG POST.
Do you know where the country of Iceland is? Have you ever heard of the Blue Lagoon? Do you know where lava rocks come from? Watch this video for answers to those questions and more! If you like this, watch other National Geographic- Are We There Yet World Adventures videos about other places on their YouTube channel.
Would you like to write an article for this newspaper? It is run by a family from our school. Contact them at the email above to take part. Aren't they doing a great job!
Have you ever listened to a podcast? A podcast is a an audio program that you listen to on a device. You can listen with a podcasting app on a device or right from your computer. See examples of good kid friendly podcasts below.
The Kids Listen podcasting app is an app geared toward presenting kid friendly podcasts only. It includes 28 member podcasts representing the best in podcasts for kids. Topics include:
- Activity Podcast - Listen and learn about science, history, animals, music, and language, and then make that learning active with hands-on projects and activities.
- Kid Friendly History Fun Facts - Learn more about history in a kid friendly way!
- The WOW of the World - We'll go inside our brains, out into space and deep into the coolest new stories in science and technology.
- 6 Minutes - Eleven-year-old Holiday is pulled from the icy waters of Alaska with no memory of who she is or where she came from. Are her mom and dad really who they say they are? And when she begins to develop incredible abilities, she’ll soon discover she’s not alone in the world. The big mysteries unfold in six-minute episodes, twice each week, all year long.
- What if World - A storytelling podcast for kids. What if a tiny dragon lived in my closet? What if there were a never-ending bowl of ice cream? What if cats ruled the world? Join Abacus P Grumbler, Randall Radbot, and Whendiana Joan as they help Mr. Eric tell wacky stories inspired by your questions!
All of these many many more in one app! Click the photo on the above for the link or download the app on Google Play or iTunes
- Little Bedtime Stories - Nightly bedtime stories for your little one. (Big ones OK too.) No ads. No intros. No nonsense. Just stories, delivered the way you'd tell a bedtime story to your children. Grab your paddle and join us on our nightly visit to Story Island.
- Story Spectacular - The children's story podcast for tamer car rides, relaxing bedtimes or for when you just need a break with a fun story.
- Brains On - Science podcast for kids and curious adults
- Curious Kids Podcast - Join Jacob and 6 year old Olivia as they learn fun and educational things. They take on a new topic each episode with the goal of providing an educational and entertaining experience for listeners of all ages. New episodes every Sunday!
Check out Candlewick Press's Stay at Home webpage on the left. They have activities from some of your favorite characters such as Judy Moody and her brother Stink, the Princess in Black, Timmy Failure and more! You can also visit their YouTube channel for writing tutorials, author interviews, book trailers and more! Did you know that you shrink everyday? If you measure yourself at night, you will be shorter then in the morning! Learn more in this video from author Megan McDonald. There is also a kid friendly book to help them learn more about the Coronavirus.
Hear him read from the Dog Man books and learn to draw some of the characters. Check back every Friday for new activities and videos. If Dog Man had to do school work at home, what would his desk look like? Draw it or construction if from materials at home. After you do it, share a photo to the Stem Padlet linked below!
Craft videos, articles, puzzles, quizzes and more! And best of all, Harry Potter's first adventure will be free for the month of April to read as an ebook or to listen to as an audio book. Click the link above to get started!
Ryan and Craig read alouds are super funny and we always loved watching them during our Media Center time. If you click the link on the left, you will be taken to their main website where you can search on tons of read alouds that they have done. They are also reading live each weekday at 1 pm Eastern on their Instagram channel which is linked below. Hope you get some laughs with them this week!
Looking some read alouds? Many authors are doing daily read alouds!
Author Mo Willmems does Lunch Doodles with Mo every day. Here's a LINK to the playlist
Studio Time with Ryan T. Higgins - Author of the Bruce books. Link to episode 1. Look for more coming soon.
Lauren Tarshis, author of the I Survived Series, is doing oral reading of her books everyday. Check out THIS PLAYLIST page where you can hear, The Titanic, The Battle of D Day, and The Destruction of Pompeii so far and new material is added every day.
Cooking at Home
Make a Chain Reaction Machine!
- Watch the video on the left
- Watch this video of 75 Rube Goldberg ideas and inventions
- Grab some supplies around your house like cups, dominos, popsicle sticks, toy cars, marbles, paper towel rolls and anything else you can think of to make your own invention!
- Be sure to share your finished invention on our Stem Padlet